Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tutorial: How to make an SVG from an Image using Inkscape

MAKE YOUR OWN SVG USING AUTOTRACE
First of all, please let me state that I do not trace any of my cutting files--I draw them all..which takes many hours of work. However, when people are new to the SCAL or MTC program, they often start out by tracing images to create SVG files, or they purchase them from designers.
I've had quite a few people ask me to create a tutorial on how to do this, and I am thrilled to be able to help you. I love to teach and share my knowledge. It's the way God uses me on this Earth.
I own both MTC  and SCAL. However, I prefer to use SCAL to cut all my files, as it's just my personal preference. I like to use Inkscape, a FREE program to create/edit my svgs. Then I import them into my cutting file program (scal/mtc) to cut directly to my cricut.
You can also trace directly into SCAL and MTC. This first video is HOW to trace in Inkscape, and save as an SVG.  Them import that svg into your SCAL.
Please remember that you must always use a Copyright Free, Royalty Free, image that is in the public domain if you wish to publish this on your blog, a site, or share with others. I do not want any of you to get into legal trouble for taking someone's coloring page, image, etc and making it into a cut file. This does happen, and I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone. So please please make sure you only get copyright free, royalty free, public domain images or coloring book pages. It's not fair to the artist or anyone else, especially you to get into legal trouble.
With that said, you will also end up with many pieces, and lots of nodes. The more nodes you have, the more bumps/jagged edges--the less, the smoother it will cut. So if you want a beautiful file, I suggest drawing it yourself, or editing your paths to remove some nodes making it cut nicer, welding pieces together using path union, and doing some cleaning and editing on any traced image.
I hope this helps some of you! Enjoy!