Saturday, March 14, 2015

Unbroken: She Picked Up the Pieces Assemblage Collage



Unbroken by K Petruzzi of Happy Lark Art Studio
Wooden Assemblage with Original Art
Materials: Wood, Paper, Watercolor, Acrylic


Hello my strong friends::: I turned 40 this month; and boy has it been a journey.

I remember when I was 18 years old, I read Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, and it touched something deep inside me. I was never the same. I too began to tread the life of a woman:: and boy has it been a journey! This is still my favorite book of all time:: I have lived Janie's life myself, and I am stronger for it.

"Now, women forget all those things they don’t want to remember and remember everything they don’t want to forget. The dream is the truth. Then they act and do things accordingly."

I absolutely LOVE creating assemblages/sculptures:: I love assemblages because it's like a sculpture and collage all in one::: Assemblages touch something DEEP inside of me too:: it's like all of the pieces of me:: then each experience, each moment, comes together to create a whole. I'm not sure but I've always loved collage, and assemblage to me is something that "sets my heart free".

I had such a fun time watercoloring the precious little girl holding a spirit bird:: I was inspired by Birds of a Feather challenge to incorporate a spirit bird into my artwork (which wasn't hard for me, for those who know me can attest, I LOVE birds...they are my essence in spirit)...Then I also saw Simon Says Stamp (isn't that a cute name? lol) for B is for...hello what else could B stand for besides BIRDS, birds, and more birds!!!!


The quote (center block) reads....

"SHE picked up the pieces of her life and CREATED something beautiful.
From that day forth she soared like a BIRD and changed the definition of broken."

To me this really speaks of a woman's life. Women are so strong:: defined by our resilient spirit that takes difficult challenges and turns them into a growth opportunity....we take many hard roads, knocks, turns, bends, and instead of letting them tumble us, we tumbled ourselves into something more strong, more beautiful, and infinitely more wise.

As a woman, I know many, if not all, of us have been hurt and disappointed by our loves/mates at some point:: I know there has been points where our dream of love has been shattered:: some of us to the point of breaking:::


"Janie stood where he left her for unmeasured time and thought. She stood there until something fell off the shelf inside her. Then she went inside there to see what it was. It was her image of Jody tumbled down and shattered. But looking at it she saw that it never was the flesh and blood figure of her dreams. Just some thing she had grabbed up to drape her dreams over. In a way she turned her back upon the image where it lay and looked further. She had no more blossomy openings dusting pollen over her man, neither any glistening young fruit where the petals used to be."

Then we "toughen" up:: we wise up:: we try again:: some of us in the same marriage or with the same person, and some of us with new "others"

“Love is like the sea. It's a moving thing, but still and all, it takes its shape from the shore it meets, and it's different with every shore.” 

Some of us are blessed enough to have a second chance upon a beautiful new shore that is just perfect wind for our sails:::

NO matter how we proceed thru life, we have to do it ourselves. There is no one who can live, love, and hurt for us. We must live this life ourselves, grow, try, rebirth, and endure.

“Two things everybody's got tuh do for themselves. They got to go to God, and they got to find out about livin' for themselves.” 

Let your Spirit Soar:::::Free as a Bird,

Kristal of Happy Lark Art Studio

Challenges Entered:
The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge: Birds of a Feather
Simon Says Monday Challenge: B is for.....